Daratan
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daratan

This world is home to the six clans of Daratan: Hayvn, Septur Kana, Arcanthul Saravya, Siram, Zalaes, and Lucenoc.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Dead Road

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Shurik Sidorov

Shurik Sidorov

The Dead Road Empty
PostSubject: The Dead Road   The Dead Road EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 5:45 am

The long, hot road into the main entrance of the city. This path of cooled lava snakes through the mountain ranges, just under the steam level, to avoid all dragons and drakes that inhabit the upper ridges and caves. The road is hot, the burning sun hits most of the road sunrise til sunset, causing the blackened rock to be more than steaming. Without proper guidance and preparations, one could find themselves dead or dying before the first mile was completed. The path is littered with old valleys, some with burned buildings within them, others with scorched landscapes with trees and other plant life that once stood there.

One or two of these valleys may still be inhabited by villagers of the city, small buildings littering one or two clearings as the men and woman of these communities farm what they can to survive, living off trade of those guided enough to walk the path.

At the end of the long hall, a giant mouth of a cave stands before you. The mouth stands nearly one hundred feet up and two hundred feet across. The path is winding down and it takes many curves. If you have made it this far, you will find that the heat of the path feels like the kiss of the beach compared to the main cave and city itself.
Back to top Go down
Caelia Inferna

Caelia Inferna

The Dead Road Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Dead Road   The Dead Road EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Why in the Dragon's name had she chosen to take this dreadful path back into the city? the woman thought as she made her way along the hardened lava beneath her feet. She had forgotten how hot it can get on the road back into the city, and though she was used to hot climates as she had spent a lot of time in the desert in her early years, she still hadn't quite gotten used to the heat that Saravya was infamous for. However, she had travelled this route before and was well prepared for the trip. Sweat formed a sheen across her entire body, making her shine like someone from the fabled light clan. Luckily the clothing of Saravya didn't stick to her like her old cotton garments she used to wear before she came here did. Why didn't you take that kind gentleman's offer to let you ride his dragon into the city? she asked herself mentally. He could've carried you straight into the city without having to worry about crossing over dangerous mountain paths and running into Dragon knows what. Oh right, you are utterly terrified of men and didn't trust him... She sighed and shook her head, keeping along the lava bordered path.

The woman heard a loud panting sound behind her and turned to see a monstrously large black wolf following her. The lumbering beast of a wolf was trudging along at a sloth's pace with his head hung low, tongue out and panting as if the air around him was evaporating before he could get a lungful. "You poor thing," she muttered to her companion. "You're not used to this heat either, are you?" The dire wolf just lifted his head a little before dropping it again, still panting loudly. The woman stirred up a small breeze under his fur to soothe him a little before turning to face front again. They were getting close to the city now since she could see the mouth of the cavern just up ahead. There was a group of travellers coming toward her from the city, and even though she smiled and nodded in greeting to them, they kept their eyes down and stuck to the other edge of the road. "Huh," she scoffed. "Most people greet a healer cheerfully when they meet one." She turned back to her wolfy friend, "Guess they don't like dire wolves, eh Kiba?" The furry beast just shook his fur and kept following silently behind. I'll be glad when we get into the city. Maybe seeing home will perk him up. the woman thought to herself as they entered the cavern. She took out her flint stone and made a spark which she held in her hand, blowing gently on it until it became a small, torch-like flame. Even though she was from the fire clan, the woman could not make her own flame like most but she could control its movements and even hold it in her hand without burning herself. Kiba shrank back behind her, stepping tentatively as he went forward. The big wolf had never really liked caves, especially after frolicking straight into a griffon's nest once on their first trip here, and even though this cave held no griffons at the moment, he was still cautious about where he walked. The woman chuckled at his behavior and kept on until they reached the main entrance to Saravya.

Finally after two days of travelling the fiery path, they were home. She reached into her healer's pouch flashed her identification paper to one of the burly guards at the entrance who immediately recognized her. "Well if it isn't the little healer girl who helped my brother out during the war. Caelia isn't it?" He didn't let her respond before continuing. "If it hadn't been for you, Ghassan would probably be stuck on a crutch at home, but look at him." He nudged the guard next to him, making him stumble before regaining his composure. "Good as new and still protecting our fine clan." Caelia blushed and ducked her head, embarrased at all the fuss he was making over something that didn't seem like such a big deal to her. "I-I was only doing my job as a healer, Firdaus," she replied nervously, "I would've done the same for any other soldier of the king's army." The big guard laughed heartily clapped her on the back, eliciting a low snarl from Kiba. "Easy there, fellow. You must be tired from all your travels. Ah, well I suppose I should let you and your young lady friend get on home. You best keep a close watch on that one. Some fellow will snatch her away from you like that if you're not careful," Firdaus winked at Kiba and then said to Caelia, whose face now rivaled the fiery red mountain itself, "Many thanks to you again, Caelia. I hope your journey past the marketplace is a safe one. Those buffoons down at The Fiery Red Head can get a little rough, especially when a pretty lady's involved." Firdaus nudged her and winked. Ghassan elbowed his younger brother in the ribs hard and looked apologetically at Caelia. "I'll be fine, Firdaus, but thanks for your concern. Now if you gentleman will excuse me, I have a tired and cranky wolf to attend to," she replied. Kiba snarled again for effect, and Firdaus backed off again.

With that Caelia left the two guards and made her way to the marketplace, but not before she heard Ghassan comment to his brother about respect for the healers and his duty as a guard. She chuckled and shook her head. Those two were quite a sight especially when they weren't on duty. Caelia had patched Firdaus up several times before after some drunken brawl with another man while listening to Ghassan scold his "obnoxious" younger brother. She had become used to their visits, and they were the only men she knew personally that she wasn't completely uncomfortable around. Kiba's head perked up and he took a big sniff as they came to the marketplace. Caelia sniffed too and picked up the wonderful aroma of some spicy concoction one of the street vendors was cooking. The strips of dried, peppered meat they ate for breakfast were long gone by now. She looked in her pouch and counted out some money, then turned to Kiba. "Let's pick up some lunch on the way home, boy." The wolf yipped in delight and trotted up beside her as they walked toward the delicious smell.
Back to top Go down

The Dead Road
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Daratan :: Roleplay :: Arcanthul Saravya :: The Burning Mountains-
Jump to: